Blog: Social Networking Sites

From the early 2000s, social media began to slowly rise into the social lives of humans and give us a taste of the possibilities social media could bring. In 2018, social media has transformed into a giant globe of connection that is universal in pretty much every aspect. Social media sites (like MySpace back in the early 2000s) began as fun past times for individuals, but it soon turned into a multimedia giant that people use everyday in various ways. This can include for fun, education, income, news, etc. The four social media sites that I have been able to get a good impression of are Facebook, Snapchat, LinkedIn, and Twitter.

Facebook: Facebook took what MySpace started, and took it to a whole new level. I like to call Facebook the Disney of social media since they own an enormous amount of umbrella companies, and they are pretty much the biggest giant in social media with over 2 billion monthly users. I have had Facebook the longest (since middle school) which helped me see how it progressed over the years first hand. Facebook is great when it comes to incorporating the multiple forms of media. When I first joined, you were able to make statuses, post your own pictures, make them into albums, post videos, play games, etc. Now, Facebook has added things like TV shows, live streams, stories (like on Snapchat), and even hashtags. One of the great things about Facebook is that there is a very large limit on text posts (unlike Twitter), which means you can write long, in-depth posts if you want to. Once I've joined Baruch, I've noticed that Facebook's messaging feature has been one of my primary forms of communicating with friends. I've also seen Facebook's capability of letting people sell goods, make invite groups, and make private groups like Baruch for each freshman class. Overall, Facebook is the blueprint for a social media site.

Snapchat: Snapchat is probably the most fun and personable social media site. This is because the nature of Snapchat began on sending pictures to your close friends that would only last a maximum of 10 seconds. This allowed people to send whatever pictures they wanted to their friends knowing that it will expire within a certain time. Today, Snapchat has integrated news outlets, company stories, a chat function to text people, etc. One of the biggest things Snapchat has is the face filters. Snapchat was the first to introduce the many different face filters which changed the social media game and led other competitors to copy Snapchat. I've used snapchat to stay connected with friends (and old friends), and to keep myself updated with things like the NBA (using the NBA's snapchat story).

Twitter: I am relatively new to Twitter in terms of having my own account (having created one for this class), but I have been able to get a good grasp of Twitter and how it works. One of my biggest impressions of Twitter when I first heard about it was how laid back and personal it was. People tweeted about random everyday things that happen to them and random times. Twitter to me is definitely one of the more informal and laid back social media sites. However, there are still threads in Twitter used for educational purposes, to spread news, etc. Twitter's use of hashtags has also been a great way to connect many individuals that relate over a certain topic or event.

LinkedIn: I created my LinkedIn when I got to Baruch so I have been able to get a good grasp of how this social networking site works. LinkedIn is definitely the most professional and formal social networking site out there. Instead of posting about personal events or funny interactions as you would on Facebook or Twitter, people post about things relating to their career, education, etc. This can include posting an update about when you get a new job or position, posting an article which gives students resume tips, or posting articles about your experiences working at a certain company. LinkedIn is a great way to connect with people within the industry you are interested in that you wouldn't be able to connect with face to face. I know many people (including myself) who have been able to reach out and talk to professionals who work within the finance industry for tips and advice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Privacy

Creative

Creativity and New Media